1. BROADWAY WEEKNYC Broadway Week 2-for-1 tickets are officially on sale!
For shows starting: 5 September. Shows participating in NYC Broadway Week:
- An American in Paris
- Beautiful: The Carole King Musical
- Chicago The Musical
- Cirque du Soleil Paramour
- The Color Purple
- Fiddler on the Roof
- Holiday Inn
- The Humans
- Jersey Boys
- Kinky Boots
- The Lion King
- Matilda the Musical
- On Your Feet! The Story of Emilio and Gloria Estefan
- The Phantom of the Opera
- School of Rock
- Something Rotten!
2. NEW PUBLIC SPACE - THE HILLS, OPENED ON GOVERNORS ISLANDThe Hills adds ten acres to the park on Governors Island and is home to 41,000 new shrubs and more than 860 new trees. Opened to the public in 2014.
3. DISCOVER STATEN ISLANDWhile there might not be palm trees, New York City’s Staten Island offers many possibilities for fun in the sun with a side of history and culture. With its miles of sandy beaches and nature trails, free summer concerts on the beach and beautiful historic homes, the borough is New York City’s hidden secret waiting to be explored. See attached list of things to do, see, stay and where to eat.
4. HOW THE NEW YORK WHEEL WILL BE BUILT ON STATEN ISLANDIf you're wondering how a 630-foot observation wheel is built, New York Wheel CEO Rich Marin has provided the Advance with a step-by-step description of how Staten Island's biggest tourist attraction will take shape.
Construction of the $580 million, 60-story New York Wheel located adjacent to the Richmond Country Bank Ballpark and Empire Outlets began in May 2015.
5. US TENNIS OPEN AUGUST 29 – SEPTEMBER 11The United States Tennis Association announced a series of physical improvements, fan and player upgrades, and new sponsor activations which will be unveiled at the 2016 US Open. The main draw of the tournament begins on Monday, August 29, and concludes on Sunday, September 11. The US Open Qualifying Tournament, which is free and open to the public, begins on Tuesday, August 23, and concludes on Friday, August 26.
6. FIDE WORLD CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH 2016 TO BE HELD AT THE ICONIC SEAPORT DISTRICTThe FIDE World Chess Championship Match 2016 is to take place at the Seaport District in Manhattan, New York. The three week long Championship Match, to be held from November 11 - 30, will be contested by 25-year-old reigning champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway and his challenger, 26-year-old Sergey Karjakin of Russia.
The Match arena will be built within the Fulton Market Building, a five minute walk from Wall Street, and will also feature dedicated spectator and VIP lounges with panoramic views of the Brooklyn Bridge as well as retail space, a restaurant, TV studios and much more.